Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Tutorial ~ Diy Knot Flip Flops



Oh I am so excited about this project!  Any DIY that takes less than 30 minutes is worth getting excited about, no?  These flip flops are so easy, and so so comfortable.  The best part?  They only cost me $1.oo.  All you need is a pair of inexpensive flip flops, I bought mine at Old Navy for a buck, some scrap fabric and you’re set.  No sewing. . . . but you can glue if you really want to ;) .

I saw a similar pair at Target.  Let’s get started!
 
Supplies:
  • flip flops
  • kitchen scissors or an exacto knife
  • about a 1/4 yard of fabric off the bolt, or scrap fabric
  • hot glue – not necessary, but if you have it, it couldn’t hurt
Fabric Cuts:
You will need four 4½ x 24 inch strips.  You may be able to get away with less, I just left a lot to work with.
Assembly:

First you will push the straps through the back a little and cut off the wide part holding it.  I used an X-Acto knife on these flops, but the ones I made today I just used kitchen shears.  They worked great.

Okay, now we have our flip flop bottoms, sans the straps.  I just left my fabric with a raw edge.  I like it like that – but by all means, break out the sewing machine if you like :) .

Cut all of your tips into a point like shown.

Now take two strips and pull two ends through the hole at the toe.

Tie a good and tight double knot.  The knot will fit in the little divet left from the original straps.
Cut the little tails off.

Now turn the flop over.  You are going to tie one knot about an inch from the shoe, this is where it will go in between your toes.  Hold both the straps together to tie it.

Tie a second knot right behind the first knot, good and tight.

Okay, we’re almost done.  Now pull the two straps through the side holes like shown.

Put the flip flop on and tighten the strap to where it is tight on the top of your foot, then tie a knot on each side.  Take the shoe off and make sure that the knots are tight, try the shoe on and make sure it fits, walk in it and make sure it is not too loose.  Remember, fabric stretches, so it’s better to be a little snug.

Cut off the ends and the little knot should fit in the divet.

You can skip this step, but I thought it might reinforce the knots a little.  I just put a little dab of hot glue in the hole and tightened.

You’re finished! 

They really are super comfy too, feels like you have nothing on. 

There is also the Key West flip flop re-do from last year using the same idea, super cute!

No comments: